Tales from the front lines of running a small residential property management business: leaks, tenants, crawlies, and more...

Thursday, October 25, 2012

RATS !

Tenant: My dryer's broken.

Me: How do you mean?

Tenant: I press the buttons and it doesn't come on.

Me: That's a problem. I'll call the guy.

The dryer guy came. He pulled out the dryer, got behind the machine, and started banging around.

Dryer guy (from behind the dryer): The cable's been chewed.

Me: Chewed?

Dryer guy: Like as in something chewed through the wire. Look, I can repair the wire, but something chewed it. That might happen again if I fix it. Oh, and there's a kind of nest in the exhaust hole.

Weird. Really weird.

Me: Could a squirrel come in from outside or something?

Dryer guy: Look lady, I just repair dryers.

So I questioned the tenant. Did anything come into the apartment? Were they aware of any mouse-poo in the house?

Tenant: My pet rat escaped.

Me: Excuse me?

Tenant: Yeah, my pet rat. He's been missing for three days.

Me: Oh. I get it now.

The solution: I told the tenant to put out some food: cheese, grapes, crackers. Rat wine-and-cheese. She caught her rat and then made sure to keep it locked up. I sent her the bill for the repair of the dryer. She vaguely protested when she got it.

Me (in response): Really? You didn't see a connection there?

No comments:

Post a Comment