Tales from the front lines of running a small residential property management business: leaks, tenants, crawlies, and more...

Thursday, October 18, 2012

CRACKHEAD FROM THE ALLEY: PART 1

7.30pm. I'm cooking dinner and my phone rings.

My third floor tenant (panicked): There was someone at my back door.

Me: Was it your roommate?

Tenant: No. He was knocking.

Me: Did you let him in?

Tenant: No. I think he was trying to break into the house. 

Me: Crap! Is he still up there?

Tenant: I don't know. He ran off.

A search of the garden revealed no crackhead. The back garden gate was open, though. One of the construction guys must have cut the chain holding the gate closed and didn't tell me to get a new one.

The result: one marauding crackhead from the alley looking around for something to steal.
To solve the problem: a brand new chain with two padlocks, a light with a motion sensor, and a new digital keypad on the front door for the tenants.

All things considered, the guy was pretty motivated. He made it past the following obstacles in the dark.  

Time to send those letter about how not to block the emergency exits!

Still : Aylwin tenants 1 - Crackheads 0.
Let's keep it that way  !

No comments:

Post a Comment